Carers - Edinburgh
CARERS | PERMANENT | EDINBURGH
Avenue Recruitment are working in partnership with Avenue Care to recruit a number of Social Care Officers for their Edinburgh office.
30 hour working week
To provide personal care and support to people who, because of illness or disability, require intensive support to remain in their own homes and reduce the likelihood of them entering into continuing care (Hospital or Care Home).
You will be required to undertake a variety of duties which will include the following:
- Personal care task including: -
- Total care assistance with dressing/undressing
- Washing and bathing
- Toileting and continence care
- Catheter and colostomy care
- Moving and handling using specialist equipment
- Dental care
- Assistance with shaving
- Optical care
- Sanitary care
- Prompting with Medication
- Prosthesis care
- Assistance with feeding
- PEG feeding (with appropriate supervision and training)
- Domestic tasks including general housework, meal preparation, budgeting, menu planning, cooking and laundry relating to incontinence.
- Social tasks including talking with clients, helping clients maintain contacts with family, friends and the community; assisting with shopping, recreation etc.
- Support service users who have communication difficulties.
- Enable service users to undertake personal and domestic tasks.
- Contribute to the protection of individuals from abuse, as per operational instructions.
- Maintain records in the service user’s home, and report any changes in the service user’s circumstances to the care manager.
- Carry out duties within health and safety legislative guidelines and report back to the service manager all hazards that may cause injury to themselves or others.
- To provide practical support to vulnerable families with children as directed by line manager.
- To undertake appropriate training as directed by line manager and cooperate with the introduction of new procedures and/or new equipment and technology.
- To adhere to the values, principles, operational instructions and guidance of the service. Adhere to the Scottish Social Services Codes of Practice.
As the ideal candidate you will have:
- Experience of caring for vulnerable people in the community (for example older people, people with physical, mental or learning disabilities, and particularly people with dementia)
- The ability to cope calmly with emergency situations
- Must have or be willing to undertake and achieve a minimum of SVQ 2 in health and social care
- Be able to build good working relationships with others and treat colleagues and clients alike with dignity and respect.
- Must comply with all health and safety legislation
- Understand the needs of people who are vulnerable or at risk
- A driving licence and the use of a car for work is essential.
If you’re looking to make a difference to those who need it most, please click apply, or send your CV to Sarah Cruickshank - firstname.lastname@example.org , Maggie Martin – email@example.com or Claire Black – firstname.lastname@example.org